collage

Thursday, December 30, 2010

6:13am

...and what box will I check
which blank will I fill
and what will I fill that blank in with
when life starts throwing pebbles at my window,
progressing to rocks
because I won't get out of bed until 11am,
demanding I declare my role.

But which roll's whole will I occupy
while rising in a convection oven,
pressure pushing from all points,
expanding from the inside out
by stealing exponents from the air,
outside going in,
my outsides are going in,
concave,
convex,
tic-tac-toe,
three x's,
three o's,
like kisses and hugs
so you'll grow up to be loved,
riding upside down on merry-go-rounds,
'turned on its head'
is this what they always meant?
I never knew
but pretended i did
because, come on, really, you don't know
what a hanging gerund is!?
only anyone who is going to be
anybody (i.e. a good grown-up) knows
what a hanging gerund is.

(Secret: I have no clue what a hanging gerund is)

Who'd have believed those grueling
grammar lessons were real life,
our sophomoric teachers weren't lying
when they scared us into memorizing
trivial information with the warning,
"You're going to need to know this in the real world".

Mrs. Miyomoto: News flash, bitch: I never once was required to write a paper strictly in cursive once I got to high school, not a single instructor forced us to craft lengthy lines of connected penmanship. Nope. they blew their poisonous biproducts into the atmosphere of my disappointed adolescent face when I asked, "Would you like us to print this paper, or curly cue our what through a cute amount of pages?"
"Do you not have access to a computer?" they asked. "Come see me after class..."

Thanks a lot for nothing.


Can't wait to see what kinds of things
college has set up for me,
situations I have been taught were going to be this way,
but are actually that way,
and will employers laugh at me?
or will they just hand me a pink slip
and tell me to go to the principal's office?
doubtful.

Full of doubt.
That's what life is from here on out.
Or so I'm told.
Are you lying to me too?

Dooner: water is a polar molecule.
Don't worry - I will never forget that.

Childs: it is a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment